Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

Misleading message or Windows playing up? - Categorized in: Report a ProblemReport a Problem

3 posts. Started 14 Jul 2012 by brett. Latest reply 14 Jul 2012 by brett. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts
Posted: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 Permalink

After import of GEDCOM, when I check the log file for full details, the following appears towards the bottom of the section.

Only the first 100 of each type of message are listed.
To display all messages:
Uncheck the "Log File: Max 100 messages" setting
under Organize -> Report -> Extra Info
and reinput your files.
The input will take longer if there are a lot of messages.

When I Uncheck as above, and either Apply or OK, the loaded file is immediately refreshed with a new log file.

If though, I then import/open the file, it defaults to 100 again, so the message is slightly misleading, as there is no need to reinput the file. I have been unable to save this as an ongoing default option.

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts

Brett:

Behold's options are set up a bit differently than other programs. I did this early on in the development, and I thought it was very flexible, but most people stumble over it. I think I'm either going to have to explain it well in the documentation, or else I'll have to change it. None-the-less, here's how it works:

The Organize window does not contain program options. It only contains options to define what files to input (the GEDCOMs tab), how to organize those files (the Familes tab), and then how to display the Everything Report for those files (the Numbering, Tags and Report tabs).

This Organize window is seeded with Behold's defaults. When you open a file, it will be opened with all the defaults.

When you change an option and then press "Apply" or "OK", e.g. the "max 100 messages" option, then depending on the options changed, Behold may be able to just refresh the Everything Report, or it may have to re-read the files and regenerate the report. In the case of your option, it would have re-read the file, because the log file is only created when the files are read.

In order to save the options for a particular file, you need to press the "Save..." button at the bottom left of the Organize page. This will save a Behold file (*.bho), which contains all the Organize options. Then next time, instead of opening your GEDCOM file, open the Behold file and it will open with all your saved options.

See: http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/userguide/HowSaveOrgInfo.htm

I think that is very flexible. You can have multiple Behold files for a single GEDCOM file so you can view it different ways or with different options and not need to re-pick all the options over and over again.

Notice on the Numbering, Tags and Report tabs that on the left, there are buttons to "Load or Merge from..." and "Save or Merge into..." That is so you can get options you know you saved into a previous Behold file into your active dataset, or save your current options into a Behold file on disk. So you can create a Default.bho file with all your preferred options, and load/merge them into a current run. Or you can load the Default file and just change the input files on the GEDCOMs tab.

At least I thought this was a good idea at the time. It is (like most things in Behold) very innovative and different from the tedious way other programs handle options.

Note that I also use Behold files to act as translation files. All you have to do is merge the German.bho file in on the Tags and Report pages, and Behold's Everything Report should display in German.

See also these places in the documentation that give more info:
http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/userguide/TutOrganize.htm
http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/userguide/RefOrganizeWindow.htm
http://www.beholdgenealogy.com/userguide/HowUseTranslation.htm

Louis

3. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts

Thanks for the explanation. It was the 'set up a bit differently than other programs' that tricked me.

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?