What is Behold?
Behold is a genealogy program for Windows that allows you to view and use all your genealogy data at once.
Behold's Everything Report makes all your data about everyone available to you. You organize it how you want. You include what you want.
Behold reads any and all GEDCOM files that genealogy programs produce. Behold does a lot of error checking for you, and will find problems in your GEDCOM files and in your data.
Behold's Everything Report presents all your data to you as you want to see it. You can easily reorganize the families any way you want. All indexes are included in the report. People, places and sources are all linked together with a simple click needed for navigation.
Behold has a standard Windows interface that works the way you expect it to. The treeview makes navigation obvious and easy.
Behold's Everything Report can be printed so you have a hard copy of all your research that you can take with you. It can be exported to rich-text format and loaded into your word processor. It can be exported to html and put on your website. In each case, the output looks just like it does in Behold.
Easy Input - the Way It Should Be
When you type your e-mail, do you fill out forms to put the paragraphs and sentences in? What a silly thought.
So why do almost all genealogy programs make you fill out forms? This is a slow, cumbersome, and time-wasting way to enter your data - especially if you have a lot of it. There must be a better way.
Why not enter your data directly onto the report? See some incorrect data. Just correct it right there.
Using a word processing program is easy. It feels natural and you see what you will get. There are menu items and keyboard shortcuts to help you put your information in and edit it. A genealogy program should do the same.
This will be the innovation that sets Behold apart. This will be included in Version 2 of Behold.
That's Not All
Behold uses new thinking to repackage the traditional genealogy program into what it always should have been. It has many special features that are only possible in Behold because of its unique design. These have been included specifically to help you, the genealogist.
To me, entering and documenting your data is the important work that genealogists need to do. Too many genealogy programs are wasting your time getting you to design your sentence structures or format your citations, which is cumbersome and time-consuming and produces less-than-perfect results.Behold is being designed to help you properly document your sources, use them as your evidence to come up with your conclusions, and enable you to properly document your conclusions and link back to their sources. This will allow you to spend your time making your data right, not on figuring how to format it.
Join Me as I Change the Way Genealogists Work
I've found during my many years doing family genealogy, that I needed a better program than those out there. Behold is going to be that program for me. And I hope you find it to be one for you as well ... One that can let you see and use all your data at a glance. And one that will soon let you enter all your data effortlessly and quickly.
Behold is still under development. When Version 1.5 is released, Behold will export all or any part of your data to a valid and error-free GEDCOM 5.5.1 file. When Version 2 is released, you will be able to edit your data directly without leaving the Everything Report, and it will become your Word Processor for Genealogy. I hope you'll follow along during the development of Behold.
These web pages include much additional material about Behold, plus a discussion forum, a feedback form, and a responsive author (me!). I offer an always-updated Future Plans page, outlining the specific things I have on tap for Behold. You can also keep up to date with my Behold Blog, where I share some interesting thoughts and ideas, and I let you know what I'm working on.
Want a free trial of Behold? Click here to go to the Download Page
If you like what I'm doing, and really want to encourage me, then consider purchasing a lifetime license for Behold. It is available now at $40 US.
Ready to buy Behold? Click here to go to the Buy Now Page
Want more info? Check the other pages of this site.
(Use the navigation tabs that are at the top and bottom of every page.)
220.127.116.11, 26 May 2013
with 8, Vista, XP,NT, ME and 2000
with a Windows emulator
Runs in Unix
with WineMobile versions plannedSee FAQ
Only $40 US
for a lifetime license
- Secure online transaction.
Credit card or PayPal.
- Or use phone, mail or fax.
Cheque, money order,
wire or bank transfer.
- Pay in your own currency
at a good exchange rate
- Activation key supplied instantly when you buy.
- 60 day moneyback guarantee, no risk!
- Also, all upgrades are free, forever!
have already purchased Behold.
Maybe you should too.
"Behold is a paradigm shift in genealogy programs!" - Rich Crooks
"I have found the software brilliant." - Robert WhiteheadBehold really gives me... "Behold really gives me a bigger picture of my genealogy file. The difference is amazing compared to the tunnel vision created by conventional database programs."
- Deck Bargy I'm using Behold now... "I'm using Behold now for about 9 months and still very happy about it! Thanks to the possibility to create an HTML file, I have been able to insert the file into my website. Everybody in the family is happy with the Everything Report as it gives you plenty of ways to navigate through the entries. You can try it on my website go to: www.acket.be. The service offered by Louis Kessler is outstanding, I appreciate the human touch!"
- Hendrik Acket I also like Behold a lot... "I also like Behold a lot because it allows me to see in a glance, which people have no sources, which sources are not complete and/or should be edited and lots of other errors and glitches. You do have a refreshing way of looking at handling of genealogical data. When Behold will have editing and saving capabilites, I think it will grow even more into an invaluable tool for every genealogist who takes his "hobby" seriously. For me it already is and it keeps getting better. You really should take pride in what you have accomplished already!"
- Frédérique Bazelmans I use Behold each day... "I use Behold each day, sometimes just for checking Gedcom files, others for great reports."
- Brett The program itself is a ... "The program itself is a genealogist's dream come true. Louis has been able to extend GED file information into a more consistent and manageable manner than any other program on the market today."
- Stephen McCarthy I am very impressed with... "I am very impressed with Behold. I have been working on a book version of the information I have gathered and find The Everything Report to be an answer to my prayers. I no longer have to keep going back & forth in my original program, clicking here, there, and everywhere to have the info at my fingertips."
- JoAnn I use Behold for three ... "I use Behold for three purposes. First, to generate reports for family members who say "Send me everything you've got." Second, to see inconsistencies and clean up my GEDCOM. Finally, to reorder families and see how everyone fits or is related to the other - I love that and I think it is unique and is probably the reason I purchased a license."
- Dave Williams Louis, you really have ... "Louis, you really have accomplished something very impressive. I was aware that Brother's Keeper wasn't displaying any of the reams of data I was painstakingly entering. Behold does all of that, and is extremely user friendly and intuitive to boot. Now I have a report that looks like a professional product."
- John R. This is exactly what I have ... "This is exactly what I have been looking for! I have never found a way of printing it in this way in any other program (and I've tried most of them). I love it and am happy to be a license owner. I think I'll do a Snoopy happy dance."
- Linda B. I have been looking for a ... "I have been looking for a report generation software that actually allows me to know what is going on in my tree. I downloaded your program at 10:30pm one night, loaded in my gedcom and was instantly amazed at how it organized families and other data. I used your program and was able to understand the family relationships clearer. It is quick and easy to see the families and individuals and that is key to understanding how families relate. Plus I love the simplicity of the one page HTML report - excellent. Most other programs generate multiple pages - fine, but not for printing off a web page.
It took me 20 minutes to evaluate and decide I needed this program, so I purchased it. Very nice, it is different from the competitors. It has a nice interface, good luck with it."
- Shawn Gearin I have seen that Legacy ... "I have seen that Legacy puts a lot of tags into the Gedcom. Some have to do with sentence definitions of events. The sentences are defined to print out the narrative reports. That is of course a lot of effort and never quite gives back what you really want to write. So here is where Behold will make the difference."
- Dirk W. Behold showed me a lot of ... "Behold showed me a lot of inconsistencies in the way I entered data and in the way each program had interpreted that data using GEDCOM. I found Behold remained true to it's claim and showed everything in the everything report. It was flexible enough not to choke on improper structures and such - but I knew they were there."
- Dave Williams I think that the greatest use ... "I think that the greatest use I've found so far is finding duplicate source listings, and/or people, in my Master GED file. I've been gradually eliminating or combining them as I found them while searching through my PAF5 Program. But, PAF5 makes it difficult (time consuming) to do this, beginning with finding them. With Behold, finding duplicate source listings and notes is simple. I love this program!"
- Max H. All I can say is WOW!... "All I can say is WOW! When I first loaded my GEDCOM, I thought, "Great, another GEDCOM viewer." But now that I've taken some time to fully explore what's there, I am beginning to fully appreciate the extent to which you've gone. This is far and above anything I've ever seen."
- Rich Crooks I am sending our family ... "I am sending our family history to my cousin in Australia and both PAF and GENViewer make it so hard to follow. Behold's presentation is ideal. Thanks for the years you have put into this important breakthrough in family history recording."
- Chris B.
Published OpinionsFamily Historian User Group
Modern Software Experience 2
Modern Software Experience 1
Jacksbox4you Genealogy Blog
Genealogy Software Reviews
AwardsHon. Mention Best New Program
- GeneAwards 2012
Hon. Mention Most Improved
- GeneAwards 2009
Rate Behold at:GenSoftReviews » Behold
FindTheBest » Behold
GEDCOM File Finder
Get It Here
GFF ReviewsModern Software Experience
ExpertiseGenealogy and Family History Q&A site
Stack Overflow, THE Q&A site for programmers.
I'm a developer member of the Association of Software Professionals
I'm a member of the Association of Professional Genealogists