Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Feature Suggestions » Topic           prev Prev   

2 DATE yes -> 2 DATE Y ?? - Categorized in: Feature SuggestionsFeature Suggestions

2 posts. Started 17 Mar 2015 by arnold. Latest reply 17 Mar 2015 by lkessler. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. arnold (arnold)
Canada flag
10 blog comments, 13 forum posts
Posted: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 Permalink

Just getting back to checking my own GEDCOM with Behold.
In my early days, I added some lines such as: 2 DATE yes
Currently Behold tells me: Behold will change this to a date phrase by adding parenthesis ....
Perhaps it would be better to check for this and convert it to the acceptable 'Y', rather than a date phrase.

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 Permalink

GEDCOM's error checking is only "good" right now. It will get much better when I implement export to GEDCOM 5.5.1 because I'll have to ensure the export is completely valid.

I also will be trying to do simple corrections to input when the GEDCOM is wrong, if it is obvious and non-ambiguous what the data was intended to be.

In your example, 2 DATE does not allow a Y or a yes. The Y must be at the event at the level above, e.g. 1 DEAT Y, and it is only allowed on a BIRT, CHR, MARR or DEAT. (Frankly, having Y on a BIRT event makes no sense to me.)

In cases where it is not obvious what is meant by the GEDCOM, I figure it is better to just indicate a problem, and let the user fix it themself rather than risk Behold making an incorrect assumption. For example, 2 DATE 1845/6 could be a double date and changed to the valid 2 DATE 1845/46 or it could have been 2 DATE FROM 1845 TO 1846. It is not clear and I shouldn't assume.

There are some date problems that Behold does fix. The rest it converts to date phrases just so they will be valid GEDCOM.

Your example is a bit more complex as I say because it will involve inspecting the tag above. I'll consider it when I expand the data correction when I write the GEDCOM export routines.

Louis

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?