There have not been a great number of problem reports with the beta of Behold so far, but it’s amazing how diverse these problems are. They cover all ends of the spectrum. Some are easy to find and others I don’t know what’s going on yet and require more debugging. Some are easy to fix, and others are very onerous.
I’ve fixed a few already and I’m in the process of fixing about 6 others at the same time.
One involves something that Delphi itself seems to have a problem with. I’ve got a question on StackOverflow for it and one of the resident experts there is helping me out.
Another is a problem with my ElXTree component, and I’ve reported the problem to the LMD people on their newsgroup, and they are helping me with that.
Then I’m debugging some bugs that crash Behold and fixing those. One is simply using the arrow up key to scroll up the window. I had thought I had debugged my Virtualization of the Richview window, but I guess I missed that.
Then there is one that links to the child of a person, but that child is actually the user’s parents. That one is also surprising to me. I checked the GEDCOM thoroughly and it appears to be correct. My linking of this sort has been working correctly for years, and I’m very perplexed by this one. I’ll be interested in seeing the reason.
Then there was someone reporting something in Windows 7 that I can’t reproduce in Vista. So I’ve been loading both Windows 7 and Windows XP into Virtual PC windows so I can reproduce the error and ensure that Behold runs okay under the two systems, without needing multiple computers. (I absolutely love Virtual PC!)
So lots going on here and I’m making good progress. Hopefully in a week I’ll get out a new beta with most of the problems fixed.