Just made a big improvement in Behold’s processing speed. After making many other changes, it seemed that genererating the Name index was taking much longer than it should have. So I used my profiler and isolated the line that was taking all the time. It ended up being something I didn’t expect: it was in adding the surnames into the TreeView.
I suspected right away what the problem was. I added an ELTREE.ITEMS.BEGINUPDATE before the name index generation and an ELTREE.ITEMS.ENDUPDATE at the end and magically the problem was fixed. I did the same to the structures and the main report as well. Instant 25% speedup!!! Unbelievable!
I know I had these BEGIN and ENDUPDATE in sometime long ago. I don’t know when I accidentally removed them, but this will be an unexpected huge boost to Behold’s processing speed that you’ll see when the next version is released next month.
The profiler also revealed a couple of other possible improvements that I’ll look at this weekend. Then I can finally get back to the other features to finish off this version.