It’s been a good week! I’ve been working my way through getting the display of linking information working the way I think it should. Good steady progress as I get there, and I’ve been fixing a few other things as I go.
Part of my thrill was that I was able to take out a huge chunk of code during this. I found a way to eliminate a 2nd copy of the data items that I previously used to do the printing prior to my finalization of the data structures. Without that, the program will be easier for me to maintain and update, and I it also reduces the memory requirements of Behold by about 10% and allows Behold to load about 10% faster.
There have also been a couple of fantastic new possibilities I am considering:
1. One of the things I’ll soon be doing will be to implement AFN (Ancestral File Number) matching which I mentioned at the end of May in this blog. But I may consider writing a small (free) program that will scan and download the GEDCOMs from the Ancestral File at familysearch.org that you are interested in. You specify the person or persons you are interested in, and the program will find and download GEDCOMs containing all people related. I may get that going after Version 1.0 or maybe 1.1 of Behold is out.
2. A second idea, and something I just found about, is that Alexa along with Amazon web services is making it possible for programmers to use their web search engine to build a customized web search tool. My idea is to build a search tool specifically for searching GEDCOM files that are on the web. You will then be able to search every GEDCOM on the web for the family members you are interested in. I might also do this after Version 1.0 or maybe 1.1 is out.
I don’t believe there currently are any tools available quite like these. If you know of any, please pass them on to me.
Of course, my idea is to make these tools available and then offer Behold as the product that will best read and interpret the GEDCOMs that you download from them. I think this is a very exciting possibility for the future!