Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

Behold Future Plans: No Editing - Categorized in: General DiscussionGeneral Discussion

5 posts. Started 28 Aug 2022 by klemens. Latest reply 12 Jul 2023 by lkessler. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. klemens (klemens)
Germany flag
9 blog comments, 9 forum posts
Posted: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 Permalink

2. klemens (klemens)
Germany flag
Posted: Sun, 28 Aug 2022 Permalink

3. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Thu, 29 Sep 2022 Permalink

Klemens:

If you come back here, let me apologize. The forum was not working and your messages got entered as blank. Sorry about that. This is related to my upgrade to PHP 7.4. See: https://www.beholdgenealogy.com/blog/?p=3870

There are still a number of things not working in this Forum. I'll see if I can find and fix them in the next few weeks.

4. klemens (klemens)
Germany flag
Posted: Sun, 13 Nov 2022 Permalink

Hi Louis,
thanks for getting the forum back up to speed!
What I wanted to write was something like this...

I haven't kept up with the development of Behold, since I've not been doing any serious genealogy for a long while.
When checking the website to see if anything has happened, I found that on the "Future Plans" page, editing has been moved to "Other Ideas I've Had for Behold but likely won't follow through on".

I can partly understand your reasons for this. Making Behold an editor is a big change from just being a viewer. But I am sad about this announcement since I hoped that Behold would enable *source-based* data entry sometime. I don't know of any tools that can do this really well right now. (I have found "Evidentia" through your GenSoftReviews, but have not tried it yet.) When I go back to working on my genealogy sometime, I really would love to follow a source-based approach, it just seems so much more sensible to me.

Also, when you say that syncing would be the big problem - isn't that what GEDCOM is for? I believe Behold would follow all the rules to generate valid GEDCOM, and I do believe that GEDCOM can take and transfer all data. A lot of work has been done by you and others to make sure of that.
So if there are problems when syncing through a GEDCOM file, that should be addressed. But I don't think it would be impossible to solve such problems.

All the best,
Klemens

5. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 Permalink

Klemens,

To finally respond to your thoughtful comment (wow - can't believe I missed it for this long), I too am disappointed that there is no genealogical word-processor-like editor that can edit people-based or source-based. I would have bought it and started using it as well.

When I started using MyHeritage / Family Tree Builder as my genealogical editor a few years back, it soon after became obvious to me that I was happy with it as an editor and it was counterproductive for me to spend time trying to turn Behold into a genealogy editor.

I have recently closed GenSoftReviews, but in addition to Evidentia, another well-liked program you can try for source-based editing is Centurial.

Syncing is a problem not because GEDCOM is bad, but because developers have made mistakes implementing it and/or have added their own data that other programs do not have, so exporting their custom tags has no place to go in the other program and get lost. Unless two programs use the same database structure, you will not be able to sync everything between them.

Louis

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?