Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Report a Problem » Topic           prev Prev   

Access Violation Error -- Won't Load GEDCOM Data - Categorized in: Report a ProblemReport a Problem

4 posts. Started 12 Jul 2023 by jimmy. Latest reply 13 Jul 2023 by lkessler. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. jimmy (jimmy)
United States flag
0 blog comments, 2 forum posts
Posted: Wed, 12 Jul 2023 Permalink

Today (19 July 2023) I purchased Behold! (version 1.2.7, 02 Sep 2021), downloaded my current GEDCOM from Ancestry.com, and tried running Behold! to view the data. Instead I received the error:

"Access violation at address 0000000000E3EDCF in module 'Behold.exe'. Write of address 00000000005F30C0. There were no valid input files to process."

So, I reloaded Behold! and re-downloaded my GEDCOM from Ancestry.com, and tried again, with the same results.

The .log file shows no errors, and after the 11th line which reads "Listing of Input Messages" there is nothing further.

I see that an "access violation" problem was addressed on the Behold! Forum before (in 2013, 2006, 2005, etc.) but nothing recently. Based on these forum entries I suspect something unexpected appears in my GEDCOM file, but I have no idea what it might be.

I am able to open earlier GEDCOM files from Ancestry (downloaded 2019 through Feb 2022) with no problems, but all eight of my Ancestry GEDCOMs downloaded since July 2022 generate this same error and do not open.

I am on an HP desktop running Windows 11 Home (Version 22H2), 64-bit operating system, 32 GB RAM, if that helps.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts

Hi Jimmy,

I just now tried downloading my GEDCOM from Ancestry and the current version of Behold 1.2.7 loads it without problem. So there must be something in your newer Ancestry data that gets into your GEDCOM that is causing the problem.

Would you be willing to email me your GEDCOM and I'll see if the problem happens for me as well. If it does, I should be able to fix whatever is causing the problem. My email address is at the bottom of this webpage.

Louis

3. jimmy (jimmy)
United States flag
0 blog comments, 2 forum posts

Hi Louis,

Thank you for your assistance in diagnosing my GEDCOM file issues. Unfortunately, my GEDCOM is a large file (113 MB), coming from my ancestry tree currently with 74,739 people and 187,525 attached records, so I cannot attach it to an e-mail. I do not normally send or receive such large files, so I am not sure how best to get the file to you (I do not have a DropBox account). Any idea how best to get this large file to you to take a look? I believe gmail has something called "Filelink" that I have used in the past, where I can send you a link to access the file (I've used it only once before), but I believe it would require you to also have a gmail account in order to access it. Are there other options?

Jimmy

4. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 Permalink

Jimmy and I are now continuing this via email. For those that are interested, I suggestiedhe upload to my Google Drive account. I created a directory for him and shared it with him. That didn't work since it said he didn't have permission to upload. But he was able to upload to his Google Drive and I got it from there.

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?