Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

Add version to behold-setup.exe - Categorized in: Feature SuggestionsFeature Suggestions

6 posts. Started 28 Nov 2014 by arnold. Latest reply 20 Jul 2015 by lkessler. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. arnold (arnold)
Canada flag
10 blog comments, 13 forum posts
Posted: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 Permalink

When trying to get a new version it would be helpful if you could add the version to behold-setup-xx.yy.exe
and/or into the setup executable properties so they will show when one hovers the mouse over the install file

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 Permalink

Arnold,

I need the executable to be named behold-setup.exe since I can always guarantee that version to be the most recent version. I have links to that program elsewhere that require a fixed name.

But thanks for pointing this out, I do see that the File Version displayed is 0.0.0.0 when you hover your mouse over the executable. It is displaying the File Version, not the Product Version which I did set. If you right-click and select properties->details, you'll see the Product Version. I'll include the File Version for the next release so the right-click will show the version number.

Louis

3. arnold (arnold)
Canada flag
10 blog comments, 13 forum posts

I can see that from your side it is simpler, but from my side it'll mean that when I download a new version I will have to try and rename it to reflect the new version - because, from (bad) experience, I have found it never hurts to keep at least the current (and tested) version around .... just in case :-)

4. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag

Arnold,

Actually, you don't have to rename it. When you download the new version from the Behold download page where it says: "Click here to Download", it will ask if you want to Run or Save the file. If you select "Save As", you can conveniently name it with the version number when you save it.

Louis

5. cp (cp)
United Kingdom flag
7 blog comments, 9 forum posts
Posted: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 Permalink

How about having the plain behold-setup.exe zipped into a file with the version? When you unzip, it general creates an outer folder with the version and the file within is as as virgin as you intend.

Some people are nervous of downloading exposed 'exe' files anyway!

6. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
Posted: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 Permalink

Colin,

Thanks for the suggestion. The readme file that is included with the installation always starts with the current version number.

Zipping forces another step and some people don't know how to unzip. Whereas by being an executable, you don't even have to download it, but you can run it right from the web.

Yes, you are correct that people are nervous about downloading .exe files. That is why I try very hard on my download page to explain that this exe has no adware, spyware, viruses, etc. and has been code signed, meaning a third-party cannot have tampered with it. My reputation is at stake here if someone gets something from my program, so I'm doing everything I can to ensure its safety. If that's still not enough for some people, I don't think I can do much more.

Louis

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?