Being new to Behold, I just imported a .ged file with UTF-8 encoding.
When it complains about a CONT line being too long, it displays the offending line it messes up the output.
The original line( as viewed in NP++ 6.6.9):
2 CONT das hiesige Pfarrbüro, das wöchentlich nur 2 Stunden besetzt ist von einer Frau, die keine Erfahrungen in Ahnenforschung hat (die Gemeinde Weilheim hat seit Jahren keinen eigenen Pfarrer mehr) hat mir Ihren Brief vom 29.7.1995 übergeben. Ich bi
The hex data from the original file for Pfarrb..ro : 50 66 61 72 72 62 C3 BC 72 6f
The line from the log file( as viewed in NP++ 6.6.9):
23341: 2 CONT das hiesige PfarrbÃ¼ro, das wÃ¶chentlich nur 2 Stunden besetzt ist von einer Frau, die keine Erfahrungen in Ahnenforschung hat (die Gemeinde Weilheim hat seit Jahren keinen eigenen Pfarrer mehr) hat mir Ihren Brief vom 29.7.1995 Ã¼bergeben. Ich bi
The hex data from the log file for Pfarrb..ro : 50 66 61 72 72 62 C3 83 C2 BC 72 6f
Similar problems occur in several other places.
Note: as the log file does include a UTF-8 BOM, I have stripped it out to make sure the BOM was not a problem for NP++
NP++ displays the same problem with or without the BOM
FWIW, the text in the main 'Everything window IS displayed properly.
Thanks, Arnold, for reporting this. But I can't reproduce the problem. When I try copying your long line you show above into a UTF-8 GEDCOM file, it doesn't happen for me. The log file is fine.
That may be because when you copied the line to this forum, your browser converted it to Unicode and it became a proper Unicode character, which when I copy back to the UTF-8 file, becomes a proper UTF-8.
Would you be able to take that GEDCOM file which causes the problem, and keep the bad line and maybe 2 lines before and two lines after and delete all the rest, and send that small file to me (see my email address at the bottom o this page). Then I can test out the actual problem text and if the problem occurs for me, I can correct it.
OK, I,ll do that - once I recover the use of my work machine which is suffering from disk malfunction :-(
It'll take me a day or two
PS: the gedcom does NOT have a BOM, even though it is UTF-8 encoded, in case that will help in the meantime
Thank you for adding the PS. I find I can now recreate the problem as it does occur with a UTF-8 file that does not have a BOM. Now you don't have to send me anything. I'll work to fix it now.
p.s. I hate computer problems. I hope yours get solved without you losing anything significant.
I found the problem. When the BOM and the Character set used mismatch, I have to do a conversion. I did not do the conversion on the full input line, but just to the extracted parts of the line. So the input line was still incorrect when displayed in the error message. I've now fixed it so that the conversion is done to the input line if it is displayed in the error message.
This fix will be included in the next release of Behold, that I am now trying hard to get finished.
After about 4 days of fighting with the hardware (& likely the software - I hate MsMpEng.exe) I am sort of up again.
The problem is always that some (important) things were not backed up, because the only time you find out they should have been backed up is when they weren't :-(
Glad you were able to identify the problem.
Your Behold has also identified a few more issues with my current genealogy app for me and I'll have to sort those out either myself or with the developers :-)
You must login to post your reply.
Also check out my freeware programs: GEDCOM File Finder and Double Match Triangulator
Copyright © Louis Kessler
All Rights Reserved