Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

Line length restriction - Categorized in: Questions and AnswersQuestions and Answers

8 posts. Started 30 Jun 2014 by brett. Latest reply 18 Mar 2015 by lkessler. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts
Posted: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 Permalink

Once editing and Behold file format, will the following result in truncation to conform to GEDCOM?

5908: 2 SOUR Citation Text: © Wiltshire Family History Society 2004 - Wiltshire Baptism CD (CDP1) Year : 1795 Date : MAY 18 Surname : BROWN Forename : STEPHEN Relationship : S Parents : WILLIAM & ANNE (NEAT) 5TH CHILD B APR 27TH Parish : CHISELDON
** Behold will read the entire line.(#3): This line including terminator is 288 characters long but it should be not be more than 255.

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts

Brett,

It will convert into a "2 SOUR" line followed by as many "3 CONC" lines as are required.

Louis

3. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts

So does that warning greater than 255 comes as a result of an incorrect GEDCOM export?

4. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
Posted: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 Permalink

Lines longer than 255 characters are illegal in GEDCOM. So yes, it is incorrect. Programs should not export lines longer than 255 characters.

5. arnold (arnold)
Canada flag
10 blog comments, 13 forum posts
Posted: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 Permalink

I have just run into the same issue, but with text containing multi-byte UTF-8 characters. In this case, Behold 1.0.5.1 does not seem to count the characters correctly.
It complains:
23580: 2 CONT hat gegenwärtig 750• Einwohner und war früher eine rein landwirtschaftlich orientierte Landgemeinde mit einer schönen KirchenWehranlage. Heute gibt es nur noch 5 selbständige Bauern, alle übrigen männlichen und weiblichen Einwohner arbeiten in I
** Behold will read the entire line.(#3): This line including terminator is 262 characters long but it should be not be more than 255.

The actual text is:
hat gegenwärtig 750• Einwohner und war früher eine rein landwirtschaftlich orientierte Landgemeinde mit einer schönen KirchenWehranlage. Heute gibt es nur noch 5 selbständige Bauern, alle übrigen männlichen und weiblichen Einwohner arbeiten in I

Looking at the log file in NP++, it looks to me as though there are only 255 chars in the text, including the trailing CR/LF line terminators.

This may or may not have been addressed for your next release, but I thought it might be worth mentioning now - just in case ;-)

6. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
Posted: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 Permalink

Arnold,

This seems like it might be that the file has a BOM (Byte Order Mark) that is inconsistent with the 1 CHAR set specified in the file, or the GEDCOM file might not match the 1 CHAR set. Would you mind sending me at least the log file, and (if you don't mind) the GEDCOM file as well, and I can see what's going on.

Louis

7. arnold (arnold)
Canada flag
10 blog comments, 13 forum posts
Posted: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 Permalink

Sent a shortened version of the files which shows the problem to you off-list.
It has no BOM but is encoded as UTF-8 and is recognized by Behold as UTF-8 and has
1 CHAR UTF-8
even so, Behold complains about the missing BOM.
But that is supposed to be one of the advantages of UTF-8 - BOM not required. ;-)
even though it is a headache for programmers who have to handle those files.

8. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
Posted: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 Permalink

Thanks, Arnold for sending this. The problem is fixed and will be included in the upcoming version 1.1.

Also, in Version 1.1, I've made the missing BOM a warning, since although Behold handles this, some programs won't correctly process a UTF-8 file without the BOM.

Despite the incorrect messages, the current version of Behold should still display your data correctly.

Louis

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?