Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

UI improvements - Categorized in: Feature SuggestionsFeature Suggestions

5 posts. Started 1 Jun 2013 by hsmyers. Latest reply 2 Jun 2013 by lkessler. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. hsmyers (hsmyers)
United States flag
0 blog comments, 5 forum posts
Posted: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 Permalink

I'd like to see 3 things:

1. load last file on start up option
2. reload current file
3. sense change to current loaded file externally and offer to reload

The change, close, open loop is kind of tedious. Yes I suppose I could use Behold to edit my file, but I prefer other methods---Perl, C++ and text editors for instance. I usually have my GEDCOM file open in another window with the other screen using Behold and as I said going through the loop gets old.

Great program thus far despite my quibbles :)

--hsm

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 Permalink

hsm:

1. To load the last file, I always click on the Open icon drop down and select the first file listed. I personally find that easy and quick.

2. Well Behold does have a Reload command under the Organize menu, which is the icon with the "R" in it. But I set it up so that it is inactive until you reorganize your file, and then pressing it will reload the file with the original reorganization. I could easily make that active right from when a file is loaded so that you can reload it. In fact it could be even made active from Behold's startup and used for #1, to easily reload the last file loaded the last time you ran Behold.

3. Yes, I could as you say, sense if the input file is hanged and offer to reload. It's trickier to do if you have Behold viewing multiple files at once. But ultimately Behold is intended to be an editor, not a viewer.

Actually, no you can't use Behold right now to edit your file. Behold won't have editing in it until version 2. When that's done, I'm hoping you WILL prefer the editing that Behold will offer.

But until then, if you are editing your data with another program in another window, then after you save your GEDCOM in that program and switch to Behold, you don't have to "Close" the file. Just reopen it. For now use the Open icon dropdown. For next version, I will implement the active "Reload" button which will make it a simple single button push for you.

Louis

3. hsmyers (hsmyers)
United States flag
Posted: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 Permalink

Good product gets better---excellent!

Regards 1., so do I :)
Regards 2., good solution
Regards 3., my favorite text editor - EditPlus - pops up a dialog saying a file has changed outside of the editor and offering to reload. If more than one file has changed, it suggests you hold the shift key to reload all of them. I've used the feature so much that I barely think about it any longer.

A note about my credentials to kibitz, I've been writing software since 1975 and UIs since 1980, from front-ends for DOS ("1Dir and 1DirPlus") to fractals ("FracZooms") to chess ("Kasparov's Gambit") so I do have some small experience. Should you not be a chess player (horrors) 'kibitz' means un-wanted advice from someone standing over your shoulder during a casual club game :)

--hsm

4. hsmyers (hsmyers)
United States flag

Haven't had my coffee yet :) say=saying, change=changed, as=has; I'm a life-time member of "Typos are Us" despite having been a newspaper editor (insert sad head shake here) </sigh>

--hsm

5. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts

hsm: Fixed up your typos for you. I wish I could allow 5 minute edits into posts. I have attempted to add that to my forums adapting some AJAX plugins, but I haven't been able to get any to work smoothly yet.

Re chess programming, see my past life: http://www.lkessler.com/brutefor.shtml

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?