Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » General Discussion » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

NAME identifier and date orplace - Categorized in: General DiscussionGeneral Discussion

3 posts. Started 16 Mar 2012 by brett. Latest reply 17 Mar 2012 by brett. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts
Posted: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 Permalink

Am I able to input an AKA under Name, to include a date and place known as that individual, and retain GEDCOM standard?

My GEDCOM is exported as:

1 NAME Caroline Juliette Edmonds
2 DATE 12 MAR 1891
2 PLAC Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

however this flags as an error, Unknown record found, in vGed 3.04.

It appears either GEDCOM 5.5.1 does not allow any details other than Name and Type or vGed 3.04 is over fussy.

Behold does not log this an error.

Brett

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 Permalink

Brett:

Comparing the logs you sent me from VGedX and GED-inline tells me that GED-inline gives better messages.

VGedX said: "Unknown record found" which doesn't tell you much, but GED-inline tells you "Tag DATE is not allowed under NAME" and "Tag PLAC is not allowed under name".

GED-inline is correct. DATEs and PLACes can only be under events tags, e.g. BIRT, DEAT, etc. They cannot be under a NAME tag. And VGedX is correct also, although its message is misleading.

Behold does not do full GEDCOM syntax checking to detect correct ordering and placement of tags, so it does not give an error for this yet, but it will in Version 1.5.

Louis

3. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts
Posted: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 Permalink

Thanks for the clarification. I will add this to my GEDCOM wish list.

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?