Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?
The Behold User Forum » Topic           prev Prev   Next next

Build a BetterGEDCOM - Categorized in: Questions and AnswersQuestions and Answers

5 posts. Started 21 Feb 2012 by brett. Latest reply 22 Feb 2012 by brett. RSS 2.0 feed for this topic RSS
1. Brett (brett)
Australia flag
36 blog comments, 59 forum posts
Posted: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 Permalink

As an observer only, at this stage, it appears that BetterGEDCOM is stalled by the FHISO Project. What are your thoughts from Monday's Build a BetterGEDCOM meeting, which I would have liked to attend, but did not arise until 5am, so missed the start by an hour.

2. Louis Kessler (lkessler)
Canada flag
287 blog comments, 245 forum posts
Posted: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 Permalink

BetterGEDCOM is probably stalled, not by FHISO and the necessity to make the new organization legal and give it structure, but probably by the effects of GEDCOMX and RootsTech interrupting matters. Once FHISO is legally underway, I'm sure they'll take a coordinating role, and use the BetterGEDCOM moniker to collect and organize all the various thinkings about the way to go.

That task is formidable though, and they need people to do the work. There's a lot of various views and discussions to sift through.

If you're interested Brett, get involved with BetterGEDCOM and help out. You can work while everyone else is asleep!

Louis

3. Brett (brett)
Australia flag

That made me chuckle. I certainly can work while everyone else is asleep. And while others are awake also.

4. agh3rd (agh3rd)
United States flag
9 blog comments, 1 forum post

It has to also be remembered that FHISO will not only be developing a standard but will, at the same time, be building an organisational infrastructure to maintain the standard developed. People may feel they don't have the technical knowledge to contribute to developing the standard while overlooking the fact that they may have exactly the skill sets need to help develop the organisation itself.

As Louis says, it is a formidable task; but with the active help of all parts of the genealogical community it can be done.

One Community - One Standard!
;)

5. Brett (brett)
Australia flag

Agreed. I am looking forward to a standard that will be supported, so I can exchange data with others, and others with me, with no loss or change.

Leave your Reply

You must login to post your reply.

Login to participate

Register   Lost ID/password?