2017 #RootsTech #InnovatorShowdown Contestants - Thu, 1 Dec 2016
I’ve been watching with much interest on the RootsTech Devpost site, some of the great programs that are being submitted to the showdown. Prior to the submitted programs being announced, I was able to find many of them because of the videos they produced on either YouTube or Vimeo, or through their entries as participants on the Showdown site.
On Dec 5, all the official submissions were added to DevPost.
The programs that are entrants for 2017 include, in alphabetical order, with the 10 semi-finalists highlighted in yellow are:
- autodotbiography - Online website – Bryher Scudamore
- Champollion 2.0 – Windows program – Christophe Marin
- ColorFuel – Online website – Oliver Nina
- CSI: Crowd Sourced Indexing – Online website - Banai Lynn Feldstein
- Cuzins – Android app - Jonathan & Joshue Fowlke
- Deep Sense – iOS app – Ahmed Bekhit, Fabian Vergara and others
- Double Match Triangulator - Windows program - Louis Kessler
- DoubleSHOT Glare-be-Gone with SHOTBOX – Windows program - Michael Hohl & Aaron Johnson
- Emberall – iOS or Android app – Karen & Kyle Corbitt, Sam Nelson
- Famicity - Online website - Jerome Blanchard and many others (2016)
- Family-History – Alexa devices – by Iayne Moessing
- FamilyHunt – Chrome extension – by Nandamuri Srilakshmi
- genealogyDOTcoach - Online website - Janet Hovorka and Kim
- GenerationStory - iOS app - Shannon Uschold (2016)
- GenQuizitive - Online website - Melissa & John Finlay
- greetingStory – Online service – Christopher Cummings
- Innovative Genealogy Charts – Online service – Doug Butts
- Irish Family History Centre - Online website – Irish Family History Centre
- JoyFLIPS – iOS app – Ken Leonard and Tami Osmer Mize
- Kindex - Online website - Cathy Gilmore (2016)
- Lifeblink – Android app - Dave Girgenti
- Lifey – Online service - Adam Balinksi
- Little Family Tree - Android app - John & Melissa Finlay (2016)
- Long Lost Relatives – Online service – John DeFour
- Memory Book - Online website - Chijioke Esedo, Gloria Miao and others
- OldNews USA - Android app - Bill Nelson
- Pass it Down – iOS app - Christopher Cummings & Rodger Maarfi (2016)
- PetFamily – Online website – Anand Rajan
- PostcardTree – Online website – Neil Saunders (2016)
- QromaTag - iOS app - Tony Knight
- Rendez-Vous – Android app – Noureddine Amri
- RootsFinder - Online website - Heather Henderson
- The Diderot Network – Cross Platform – Paul Fraser
- The Family Nexus - iOS app - David Taylor
- The Project Life App – iOS app – Becky Higgins
- ThereForYou – iOS app - Ashish Ranjan
- TSOLife - Online website - David Sawyer, Stella Parris (2016)
- VR Tag Room360 – Online website – Tom Nguyen
- VyTräd - Windows program - Steven Larson
- weGather – iOS & Android app – Rachel & Andrew Niesen
From the above, you’ll see 15 are online websites, 15 are iOS or Android apps, 4 are Windows programs, 4 are online services, 1 is Cross platform and there’s even 1 for Alexa devices and 1 Chrome extension so there’s quite a variety. Many of the videos are superbly done.
7 of the programs were submitted to the 2016 Innovator Showdown. They will have gained in the experience from that and their programs will be more polished and should have a better chance this time around.
It’s going to be really tough for the judges to pick the 10 semifinalists from among these. I’m hoping DMT will impress them enough to make the first cut. There will be some good programs that won’t.
The following programs didn’t make the deadline:
- Carbon Copy – Online website – Cassidy Williams
Update: Dec 5, 2016: I missed 14 Submissions. I’ve now updated them above.
Update: Dec 9, 2016: Devpost added 1 more: PetFamily (see above)
Update: Dec 17, 2016: The 10 semi-finalists and 5 judges were announced. I’ve highlighted the semi-finalists in yellow, above.
The following program was taken off the official list of entrants Dec 19:
- frontfamily – Online website – Bassem Chagra and others