Every day for the last three weeks, I thought getting the new blog up was imminent. Needless to say, it isn’t up yet.
It has been a real learning experience, interesting, but very frustrating. I’ve solved a hundred little problems along the way, and I’m still not quite there yet.
My last checks with Firefox and verifying that the web pages are valid have shown inconsistencies and bugs in both Internet Explorer and Firefox’s handling of CSS that I’ve needed to fix. Then when using the zoom features of both browsers, I saw horrible results that required changing all fixed pixel sizes to relative sizes in the CSS and for all graphics as well.
Finally, when uploading it all to my website, I discovered differences between my host’s Windows server and the one I run, thus requiring debugging and research to find out why and how to fix.
In a nutshell, there are several reasons for all my troubles: (1) I’m trying to customize my Wordpress/bbPress installation to my liking. I’ve done that, but it complicates matters. (2) I’m running on a Windows server, and it’s not what most people use for Wordpress, so certain non-obvious things need to be changed. (3) I’m trying to get the webpages to look good and be error-free in both Firefox and Internet Explorer - not an easy task!
I’ve debated with myself several times in the last few months, whether to continue and finish this implementation of the new site and blog and forum and mailinglist. Or whether I should just go back to the old site and continue on with Behold. But I still believe this short term pain is worth the long term gain of a site that will be better equipped for future growth.
So let me hereby apologise to everyone currently using Behold for this delay. I haven’t touched Behold in over 3 months since I started all this. Let me do what’s required to finish it off correctly, the way it needs to be. Once that’s done, I’ll be able to concentrate 100% on Behold and getting it first to Version 1.0, and then 2.0 and Editing.