Over the last few days, I got the progress bar working so it ends properly at 100%. In doing so, I added some timing code and included the timings in the log file. I was surprised by what I found. I had thought that the Richview formatting was taking the bulk of the time. Instead, the formatting is only taking about 12%. It could be that the formatting in Richview has been improved in the new version I upgraded to, or maybe some of the simplifications I have made have reduced the formatting work requirements.
In any case, this is excellent news. I’ve already reduced the loading time of a file with 3000 names that took 30 seconds in Version 0.98.6 down to 12 seconds. And since 88% of those twelve seconds is in the routines I developed, there is a lot of potential for reducing that time a lot more. Since I’m running out of time to get the next version out, I’ll save further optimization for future versions. I do have some features that stopped working when I changed the numbering that I first need to get working again. My clock is ticking and I’ve got 24 days to get this version out.
Only 14 people have so far responded to my “contest” to get your GEDCOMs to be included as sample files with Behold. If you are interested, you still have time to send me yours. I’ll be finishing off getting these features back in which I hope will take a week, and then I’ll be comparing the GEDCOMs. If you’re worried about privacy, either use the GedLiving program to remove the living people, or let me know and I can do that for you. (P.S. I’ve got it in my future plans to allow Behold to do this, but it can’t do it yet.)