In the test file I am using for the “references in references”, I found a few of the references were not showing up in the Everything Report. Problems like this are almost always caused by something I’m not expecting. This case was no different. A bit of program tracing and I found it led deep into my string sorting procedure, which I had addressed in my May 28 2005 blog entry. It turns out that when I redesigned the referencing structure, I had started using a second special character to separate fields. Changing the sorting procedure fixed the problem. It’s so nice to encounter and fix a problem in less than an hour. Most of them should now be like that. But it will take me a while to forget my last three months of slugging through the design of the referencing structures.
Next few things I found: References can occur at any level in the GEDCOM. Two of them may reference the same citation of a Source, even though they are at different levels. I need to put these together. Also, I found that if there is information that is different in two citations, but that information is not printed (the tags are not selected), then visibly those two citations are the same and should be merged in the Everything Report.