Next on the agenda, I think I’ll tackle one of the toughest tasks left. I call it “references in references” but I think I originally called it “recursive links”. An example might be an event that has a witness, and some of the data about the witness has a source, and the source refers to a repository, and the repository has a note: except that it is all inline at the place of that original event and the GEDCOM goes down to level 6. It is “recursive” because to handle it, I need to isolate the routine that handles a link, and then when another link is found within the content of the original, the routine calls itself. Recursion was a really interesting concept when I took it in Grade 12 maths many years ago, and I find it fascinating that programming languages now can handle it so naturally. Hopefully I can finish this off in less than a week and then go onto the next item on Behold’s Future Plans page.
I am finding other little things needing fixup as I go. The ones that only take a few minutes to find and fix, I try to do right away. I’ve already done a couple of these and they’ve been added and marked off of the Future Plans page so that their progress will be noted. One of them was undoing a change from Version 0.98.3 - which happens every so often. It’s impossible to get everything right all the time.