I thought all the character set stuff was working, and then I noticed one particular Czech character, an “E” with a breve (a half-circle over it) was only rendering as a plain “E”. I’m not one to leave well-enough alone, so I spent the last 3 days trying to find out what was going on. I won’t try to explain what went on in those three days - but it was in the end of no consequence.
It seems that this one character does not have a correct rendering in the East European Code Page. It should, since it is an East European character, but it is not there. I’m afraid that correct rendering of this character, and the combination of different character sets will have to wait until I implement Unicode. So this temporary Code Page fix will unfortunately be less than perfect.
What I might do is move the implementation of Unicode up a bit in my plans. I didn’t originally think that Unicode was necessary until I needed it for Editing in version 2.0, but now it seems that there are enough GEDCOMs generated using UTF-8 (and ANSEL as well), that will be better displayed with Unicode. But I do dread some of the problems I might encounter, especially since I’m still trying to continue to allow Behold to run on Windows 98 which isn’t entirely Unicode compatible.