I had done the preprocessing in the wrong place. I preprocessed the GEDCOM before I read it into the GEDCOM listings of Behold. That resulted in the listings not being the exact GEDCOMs that are on the computer, which is bad.
So I changed the code to now read from the loaded GEDCOM listings. That went fairly smoothly except for one silly bug: When concatenating lines with the CONC tag and printing some text as the CONC tag, I was adding extra spaces to the CONC tag, rather than between the two lines as I should have. It took 5 hours over two days to track that one down. And its even an option that most people won’t use. But it’s all fixed now.
The CONC and CONT tags now work fairly well. They make the notes look much nicer. So far I’ve only found PAF and Brother’s Keeper using the correct GEDCOM spec for CONC tags, where one line is concatenated to the next. All others I’ve looked at so far seem to add a space in between. If you find that your long notes as shown in this new version of Behold sometime have two words put together or have one word broken in two, please let me know since your genealogy program might be another exception to the rule.