My problem from November 14th was in fact, not resolved. There was still something wrong between the Instant Organize History List and its associated Popup list. The “enabled” status of the Popup list would not always get passed through to the History List.
I was using the Elpack MRU (Most Recently Used) Component for the History List. It could be that the problem is embedded within that component. It is always difficult to debug a 3rd-party component at the best of times. In the past, when I’ve found a problem in one, I’ve reported it to the author. But Eugene Mayevski who gave excellent support, sold the package to LMD Innovative back in August of 2003. I have never tried contacting them, and I do see that they have done nothing with the package since they purchased it.
In this case, I conclude that I might want to avoid using the Elpack components if I don’t need them. I currently only use them for the Tree View (which one day I can switch to Virtual Treeview, a top-notch product that is even used now in Delphi 7), the Registry access component, the Image List component, and the Most Recently Used component. The latter works fine for the MRU files list, which doesn’t need dynamic updating. But the problems with the IO History List are aggravating.
So I bit the bullet and worked to implement the MRU information into my own routines using just the standard Popup component. Starting from scratch, this ended up taking about 12 hours over the last few days. I won’t go into the details, but anything taking that long obviously had some bumps along the way.