To properly update the Instant Organize history menus, I finally determined that I had to update the Gedcom numbers before doing the Processing, and then check and update the entries following the Processing. I had to be quite meticulous to get the actual processing of this just right.
It’s unfortunate, but as you make a user interface function more powerful, its interaction with the other parts of the user interface grow much more complex, sometimes being very difficult to get just right. It’s the sort of thing that sometimes takes time to work out. I’ve already picked and defined the style of my Organize functions, and I’ve been working on them for a long time now. So I’ve got to now just see this through and make sure it all works.