I thought I’d check out what other genealogy Blogs are out there. I went to Google and searched for: “genealogy blog” and was very surprised that My Behold Blog (this page), came in at number 6 spot, despite it being quite new. The other main page mentioned was about the genealogy of Blogs. Interesting, but not quite the same as Blogs for genealogy.
Now back to programming … The process of removing the original code from my User Interface unit is somewhat like surgery. I’ve got this old “organ” that is to be replaced by a new one that can do the original functions and more. The new one is in place and is already doing some new work, but the old one still is handling some of the work. There are two ways of going about this. I can either disconnect one piece at a time from the old and get it working in the new before going on to the next, and always have a functioning program. Or I can “slash and burn” and just rip out the old and then hook up the new until it works. The first way is the safer, but slower way.
After a while of being slow and careful, I decided to go for it and do it in two big steps. First, remove the old GEDCOM stuff, and hook the new stuff up. Then remove the old Families stuff, and then get it working.
So removing the GEDCOM stuff and hooking the new routines back up was several hours work - and then I realized I had one data structure, linking to the GEDCOMs in the log files that was removed in the process. I’m stuck for the moment on how to resolve this. Hopefully, I’ll think up a solution overnight.